Monday, December 5, 2016

ReadReadRead's Holly Jolly List of Romantic Holiday Movies - Part 1


December is here and I am so happy!

Christmas is my favorite time of the year for so many reasons. I get to spend time with my family. Stores are filled with all kinds of chocolate. People put up Christmas lights and all of a sudden it isn't that dark outside. You can hear Christmas music everywhere. Television is full of Christmas specials.

Importantly, Christmas is also a time for Christmas movies. Christmas movies have had a special place in my heart since I was a child and within the last few years, I feel like I have started watching Christmas movies earlier and earlier. Not sure whether I should be embarrassed or not, but this year I watched my first Christmas movie in September. Yep, you read that right.

While there are awesome Christmas classics out there, films like White Christmas, Holiday Inn, Elf and The Polar Express, my favorite type of Christmas films are those of a romantic inclination produced for television by companies like Hallmark and Marvista Entertainment. Movies that are often super predictable, but an absolute comfort to watch. 

This year, I have put together a list of 20 such films I want to share with you. I don't expect many of you to want to watch 20 of such films during the holidays, but I hope that you can find even one or two to put on while having a cup of hot chocolate and a box of chocolates. 

I will share the first 10 films from my list today and post the second part of this list tomorrow! Please let me know if you have seen any of these or if you plan to watch some of them this holiday season. 

By clicking the names of the films, you will be directed to their IMDb pages.

----



After her boyfriend breaks up with her, Noelle travels to the countryside with her co-worker Liam and her new puppy to Liam's home for Christmas. While Liam waits for his fiance to make an appearance, his relationship with Noelle starts to get beyond professional. 

+ cute puppy
+ cute guy



Layla gains a fake fiance while attending the wedding of her cousin and the man she was supposed to marry. How far can they take the fake engagement without actually falling in love?

+ Jessica Lowndes is not only a good actress but also incredibly beautiful
+ Daniel Lissing is like a freaking Disney prince



Two strangers are forced to share a room in a B&B when their flight is cancelled due to a snowstorm. 

+ It is sooooooo nice to see Mayim Balik as something else than Amy from The Big Bang Theory



Holly, an astronomer and a Christmas lover, travels to New York to surprise her family and her boyfriend. On her way home, she meets Luke and forms an instant connection with him.

+ I have a weakness for Southern guys and the love interest in this film is a freaking cowboy
+ a scholarly female lead



A famous actress (pretty much a Hallmark version of Jennifer Lawrence) travels to a small town to film a new movie and meets the town's young, handsome mayor.

+ the guy is played by the actor who plays Kostas in The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants 



Duncan cares for his sick wife Suzy with the help of Natalie, a young nurse. In an attempt to give Suzy a Christmas memory she will never forget, Duncan buys an old Ferris Wheel. With the help of Tommy, a young landscape designer, the Ferris Wheel starts to take its shape as relationships develop.

+ Mandy Moore



A spontaneous kiss with a mystery guy Wendy thinks she will never meet again gets more complicated when she realizes that the guy is actually the boyfriend of her demanding boss and the owner of the house she is supposed to decorate for the holidays. 

+ I love the representation of friendships
+ Jerrika Hinton before she was in Grey's Anatomy



A lawyer is forced to spend time in an old inn in order to get everything in order after the owner of the inn dies. She soon learns that the house is haunted and is very much able to see the man behind the haunting. Is it possible to fall in love with a ghost?

+ While there are some plotholes here, I really enjoyed the somewhat paranormal element of this film
+ The guy is super hot in those early 1900s clothes



Two strangers decide to join forces and fake a relationship to get through the holidays and the challenges that come with the Christmas period.

+ I loved Jaime King in Hart of Dixie and she is pretty good in this one as well!



Two department-store window decorators are pitted against each other when they are told there is a vacancy for only one for them once the holidays are over. 

+ Chyler Leigh's Lexi was one of my favorite characters in Grey's Anatomy and I always love seeing her in something else (I know she is in Supergirl now!)
+ Paul Campbell is probably my favorite guy who frequents these Hallmark films.

----

A second set of 10 films will be shared here on ReadReadRead tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I watched a Christmas Kiss and adored it - it was so cute! Also, just so you know, I'm bookmarking this page so I can watch all of these XD

    ReplyDelete