Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Romantic Movies for Book Lovers


I love bookish movies and especially romantic comedies/dramas that include some sort of bookish element are perfect to my tastes! 

Today, I will share with you some of my favorite Bookish Romance Movies. Some of these are really well known and probably ones you might have already seen, but I tried to include a few lesser-known films you can maybe add to your to- watch lists.


Crossing Delancey (1988, directed by Joan Micklin Silver)

Crossing Delancey tells the story of Izzy, a thirtysomething woman who works in a bookstore. When her grandmother's hires a marriage broker to find a husband for her, Izzy meets Sam and starts to question her thoughts about the "ideal" man for her.

+ Directed by a woman
+ The Manhattan setting is gorgeous
+ Interesting portrayal of Jewish customs
+ Interesting portrayal of generational differences

"I have plenty of friends, lots of women who are doing tremendous things with their lives and don't need a man to feel complete. It's not like I'm going to say "no" if someone walks into my life tomorrow, I'm not canceling out that possibility...but I'm not holding my breath."


10 Things I Hate About You (1999, directed by Gil Junger)

This modernization of William Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew is set in American high school and it focuses on the lives of Kat and Bianca Stratford and the young men that form relationships with them. 

+ Julie Stiles's Kat is not afraid to speak her mind and say things as they are
+ Heath Ledger

"I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car, I hate the way you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all."



Amélie (2001, directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet)

Amélie tells the story of a young woman who, while helping others, breaks away from her isolation and falls in love. 

+ absolutely beautiful Paris scenery (the film was shot in over 80 Parisian locations)
+ It's whimsical, fantastic and the soundtrack is to die for

"Amélie has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment. A soft light, a scent in the air, the quiet murmur of the city. A surge of love, an urge to help mankind overcomes her."


Beauty and the Beast (1991, directed by Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise)

A young bookworm named Belle offers to take her father's place in captivity and thus agrees to live in the castle with the Beast, a Prince who was cursed due to his arrogance.

+ You all already know this, but this movie is ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL
+ The soundtrack is one of the best things I've ever heard

"Take it with you so you'll always have a way to look back... and remember me."
  

Love by the Book (2014, directed by David S. Cass Sr.)

Emma is a hopeless romantic who has grown up believing in fairy tales and that one day she is going to find her prince charming. When two men, Landon and Eric, show up to her life at the same time she learns that maybe real-life fairy tales don't exactly have to be like the ones found on the pages of books.

+ It has similar elements of Jane Austen's Emma
+ It's a super cheesy and cute Hallmark Channel original movie

"Real life is one thing, fiction is another. My sister Jane and I were raised on a steady diet of fish sticks and fairytales... We lived on the pages of books, staging epic battles, going on magical adventures, and I was always the perfect princess, of course."


The Shop Around the Corner (1940, directed by Ernst Lubitsch)

Alfred and Klara work in a shop in Budapest and cannot stand each other. Around Christmas, Alfred is looking forward to meeting a mystery woman he has been exchanging letters with and is surprised when he learns who the woman he has fallen in love with really is.

+ If you like You've Got Mail you'll probably going to love this one (You've Got Mail is an adaptation of a play on which this movie is based!)
+ James Stewart is sooooooo charming

"Well, I really wouldn't care to scratch your surface, Mr. Kralik, because I know exactly what I'd find. Instead of a heart, a hand-bag. Instead of a soul, a suitcase. And instead of an intellect, a cigarette lighter... which doesn't work." 


You've Got Mail (1998, directed by Nora Ephron)

Business rivals Kathleen Kelly, the owner of a small bookstore called The Shop Around the Corner, and Joe Fox, the owner of a new big bookstore meet in an over-30s chatroom. They connect online, but absolutely despise each other in real life. 

+ Directed by a woman
+ Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are amazing together

"When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your life does."

----------------

Have you seen any of these? What are some of your favorite bookish (romance) movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment