Monday, September 19, 2016

Book Review: The Mistake (Off-Campus #2) by Elle Kennedy

Release date: May 6, 2015
Author links: Goodreads - Twitter - Website
Publisher: Createspace Independent Publishing Platform
Pages: 296

Description (from Goodreads:)

He’s a player in more ways than one…

College junior John Logan can get any girl he wants. For this hockey star, life is a parade of parties and hook-ups, but behind his killer grins and easygoing charm, he hides growing despair about the dead-end road he’ll be forced to walk after graduation. A sexy encounter with freshman Grace Ivers is just the distraction he needs, but when a thoughtless mistake pushes her away, Logan plans to spend his final year proving to her that he’s worth a second chance.

Now he’s going to need to up his game…

After a less than stellar freshman year, Grace is back at Briar University, older, wiser, and so over the arrogant hockey player she nearly handed her V-card to. She’s not a charity case, and she’s not the quiet butterfly she was when they first hooked up. If Logan expects her to roll over and beg like all his other puck bunnies, he can think again. He wants her back? He’ll have towork for it. This time around, she’ll be the one in the driver’s seat…and she plans on driving him wild.



It's probably no news for those who have read my blog/social media feeds before that I LOVE HOCKEY. In addition to my dog, my family & friends and books/movies/TV, hockey can be counted as one of the greatest loves of my life. Some of my best memories are related to hockey - attending games, meeting players, spending time with my friends. Pretty much, HOCKEY IS MY EVERYTHING. Because of my love for hockey, I set huge expectations for The Deal, which managed to deliver what I was looking for. Now, The Mistake has done the same! With a wonderful set of characters and a romance to die for, The Mistake is just the kind of hockey romance I wanted to read.

Logan is a major player. Ever since he started college, he has been sleeping around a lot and hasn't really even been thinking about a relationship as a viable option for him. But watching his best friend Garrett with his girlfriend Hannah is making Logan question his decisions. Believing he is in love with Hannah, Logan is looking for ways to stop himself from feeling anything. Then he meets Grace, and quickly innocent hook-ups become much more serious either of them was prepared for. 

Grace's freshman year hasn't really been what she expected. When John Logan, one of the biggest hockey stars of the school suddenly seems interested in her, she does not quite know how to act. Once she spends more time with Logan she realizes that there could actually be something in there. But is she ready for a relationship? And is relationship something Logan is really looking for? 

I loved the dynamic between Logan and Grace. At first, Logan seems like a cocky player, which he kind of is, but as the story develops, Elle Kennedy shows another side to him that absolutely made me fall in love with me. And while Logan might be cocky and a bit of a player, he is not really a "bad boy" and throughout the novel acts like a gentleman, which is something I really appreciate. I loved seeing how Grace's confidence grows as her relationship with Logan deepens, and seeing her take control of her own sexuality and desires felt really empowering and kickass. 

While this book is mostly good fun and consist a lot of hilarious exchanges, there's also a more serious side to it. Logan's family relationships are more than ideal, and there were scenes here that absolutely broke my heart. I think Elle Kennedy has found the perfect kind of balance for this stories with the more serious stuff, the hilarious banter, and the sexytimes. The supporting characters are all extremely interesting and I cannot wait to continue with the series to see who's story will be covered next. 

(I totally want a book about Pace and Evelyn, the airhead hosts of the campus radio show!)


My review of The Deal was made better with gifs of Sidney Crosby, because he's the hockey babe I was thinking about while reading The Deal. I think in this review I will go with Pekka Rinne, my first hockey love and my sweet Finnish prince (he is seriously THE NICEST HUMAN BEING I'VE EVER MET!)


I THINK YOU ARE PERFECTION (*intense fangirling since 2005*
btw, YOU'RE WELCOME


Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment