Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#67) - Favorite 2016 Releases So Far


It is time to share with you my favorite 2016 releases so far! I have been fortunate enough to get amazing advance review copies this year and it was hard to limit this list to only ten titles. I hope the second half of 2016 is just as awesome. 


The Girl Who Fell by Shannon M. Parker is a perfect mixture of a thriller and a YA contemporary. It is a story of a girl who tries to figure out what being in love should feel like and whether love is the same for everyone. This is one of those books that it impossible to put down because you just want to know more!


All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood won't be published until August, but if this one isn't on your TBRs yet, PLEASE ADD IT THERE NOW! It is both ugly and wonderful, as the title promises, and filled with interesting characters and events. A true gem of a book for sure.


I finished reading The Other Boy by M.G. Hennessey last weekend and I have a feeling I will be thinking about this book for a LONG TIME. It won't be published until September, but I highly recommend adding it to your wishlists/TBRs, even if you don't normally read middle grade novels. Reading this was a true roller coaster of emotions from love to anger to being entertained to being incredibly sad. It is a beautiful and important story I hope a lot of young readers get introduced to.


The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by Lily Anderson is so wonderfully intelligent, geeky, hilarious and romantic. Anderson has been able to put together everything I love from YA contemporary novels into a packet of awesomeness!


The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner reminded me of why I love reading so much at a time I was in a bit of a reading slump. Zentner's story is so incredibly beautiful, atmospheric and full of interesting, complicated characters. I had to use tissues only only to wipe my eyes but to wipe the screen of my ereader because I was crying so much while reading this.


Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock's The Smell of Other People's Houses not only has an amazing title, but also tells an incredibly interesting story set in 1970s Alaska. It focuses on stories of four teenagers with very different lives and the way Hitchcock balances these four stories is done incredibly well. Also, look at that cover - I want to frame it and put it on my wall.


Morgan Matson is one of the queens of YA contemporary novels, and The Unexpected Everything was just as awesome as I expected it to be. It is quite lengthy for a YA contemporary, but every single page is totally worth it. It has dogs, a cute guy, an interesting group of friends, and a father-daughter relationship that I loved reading about.


Danika Stone's All the Feels is a must read for all fangirls and fanboys out there! Though there were a few things I hoped the book would have developed a bit more (the relationship between the main character and her mother), I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and found it quite easy to identify with the main character Liv. Also, Xander is just SUPER DREAMY.


When We Collided did not become my favorite Emery Lord novel, but I still appreciated it a lot and enjoyed my reading experience. Emery Lord writes so well and is so damn hilarious that her characters are so interesting to follow around and fall in love with.


Wendy Mills's All We Have Left is probably going to make waves once it is released later on this year. It's events focus on two different characters from two different time periods. The lives of both characters are shadowed by the events of 9/11. I think Mills treats the subject matter with care and I bet this novel will ignite many interesting conversations once it hits the bookstores.

Which are some of your favorite 2016 releases so far?

36 comments:

  1. I have The Girl who Fell on my TBR :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, you are in for a very intensive treat! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. All We Have Left sounds like it'll be really interesting (in a good way not in a well that's odd way). I'm glad you have the Girl Who Fell on here because it's been on my TBR forever and I was starting to think I would hate it just because I've been waiting for it to get in at the library forever. Great List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All We Have Left was quite intense and sad, but also weirdly uplifting at points.
      You are in a for a treat with THE GIRL WHO FELL - it was so intense and good.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm calling it. The Serpent King is my next read. Something about this book just calls to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD LUCK - it is amazing but oh so sad.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. When We Collided and All We Have Left are both on my list. I read The Unexpected Everything, and it wasn't a favorite with me even though I do typically love Morgan Matson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those were really good reading experiences - I hope you like them as much as I did.
      It didn't take a spot as my favorite Morgan Matson book either, but I liked it nevertheless.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these, but The Unexpected Everything is at the top of my TBR. And I really like the sound of All the Feels. Great list. Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my TTT earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Unexpected Everything is the perfect summer book - I am almost bummed I did not save it for the summer months.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Ahh there are SO many incredible books on this list, I love it! <3 (PS. Totally unrelated, but you're from Finland? That's SO cool <3 Anyway, back to the books ahah), I am so happy you liked When we collided so much, I am impatient to read it, it sounds SO good. I love Morgan Matson so obviously I'm eagerly waiting to get her last book! Oh and The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You? That book is ON my TBR right now. Sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am from Finland :D

      When We Collided did not become my favorite Emery Lord novel (that spot is saved for Open Road Summer), but I still very much enjoyed it. The Unexpected Everything is not my favorite M.M novel either, but still 5/5 read for sure.

      The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You was such a positive surprise - funny, romantic and so damn nerdy.

      Thanks for stopping by Marie!

      Delete
  7. I still need to read The Unexpected Everything! Also All The Feels sounds like my kind of book. I just adore the cover. Great list, Milka and thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the Feels is perfect for all fangirls! And The Unexpected Everything was, naturally, a piece of YA contemporary goodness.

      Thanks for stopping by Jess!

      Delete
  8. The Unexpected Everything made my list too. I need to read When We Collided, All the Feels and The Girl Who Fell. I need to check out the rest - Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! :)
      All three books you mentioned are amazing - quite different, but equally awesome.

      Delete
  9. Milka, I still need to read The Girl Who Fell. It's on my TBR top pile...and it will be read before the year is out. I also love the sound of The Smell of Other People's Houses. Thank you for sharing your list with me, and for your earlier visit at my list too. :-) I'm going to follow you on Twitter and other places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Girl Who Fell is perfect for when you are looking for an intense read!
      The Smell Of Other People's Houses has a setting I had not come across before and that made it a very unique reading experience for me.
      Thanks for stopping by Marcilia. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm currently reading The Unexpected Everything - I'm not that far yet but I like it already :) When We Collided is also on my TBR, and I still want to ready Emery Lord's other books as well. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emery Lord's novels are perfect for the summer - especially Open Road Summer which takes place during the summer!
      Thanks for stopping by Lindsey!

      Delete
  11. The Other Boy looks amazing. I think I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was REALLY good!
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Great list! Obviously loved The Unexpected Everything and The Smell of Other People's Houses since both were on my list! I'm hoping to read The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You soon!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You was such a positive surprise - I didn't have many expectations towards it, so it completely blew my mind.
      Thanks for stopping by Eva!

      Delete
  13. So glad ypu liked The Unexpected Everything and Smell of Other Peoples Houses as they are on my list too. I have been on the fence about picking up The Serpent King because eek! snakes. But now I think I will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes are not actually in that big of a role in it - The Serpent King is just a name the townies know the main character's father with. It also makes a kickass book title.

      Thanks for stopping by Sue!

      Delete
  14. All the Feels made my list too! I see some other books on your list I haven't gotten to just yet but I'm excited to and seeing them on a fav list only makes me wish I only had to read ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these kind of lists because I always find new books to read!
      Thanks for stopping by Eve!

      Delete
  15. Eeeep, I loved The Unexpected Everything so so much too. :') BASICALLY CLARK WAS SO ADORABLE. And I really want to read All the Feels! I've got that one on my wishlist, hehe. AND SO MUCH LOVE FOR THE SMELL OF OTHER PEOPLE'S HOSUES OMG. Usually 4 POVs terrify me, but it was done so so well in this book. :')
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clark was SUCH A BABE!
      Thanks for stopping by Cait!

      Delete
  16. I still need to pick up an Emery Lord novel! I keep hearing all the good things about her, but I just haven't gotten round to reading her work. I definitely need to try her out though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are perfect for the summer, especially OPEN ROAD SUMMER, which is set during the summer & happens to be my favorite out of her three novels.
      Thanks for stopping by Elen!

      Delete
  17. I haven't read any of these books yet, but When We Collided is far up on my TBR list! My absolute favourite release so far this year has been A Court of Mist and Fury, the sequel to A Court of Thorns and Roses, by Sarah J. Maas. Nice list, and have a great day!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by Sarah J. Maas. I think that is something I should fix and pick up the first novel of either of her series.
      Thanks for stopping by Helle!

      Delete
  18. The Serpent King was sooo good! I'm not super into most YA but I loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like The Serpent King definitely has elements that makes it a good book even for those who don't normally read/like YA! :)

      Thanks for stopping by Gabby!

      Delete