Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#63) - Ten Books I Feel Differently About After Time Has Passed


For more information on Top Ten Tuesday click here


This week Top Ten Tuesday is all about books that I have started to feel differently about as a result of the passage of time. Some books I have started to love and/or appreciate more, while others I have started to look at more critically. I would be curious to know which books made your list this week - leave me a comment and I will come and check out your list.



1. The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer - I was 17 years old when I first encountered Twilight and absolutely fell in love with it! I had a friend in high school who was equally obsessed, and we used to talk about the books and eagerly wait for the movies together. This novel fueled my interest in all things paranormal and got me into blogging and the online book community in general. Now that I have grown up and read more, I have become more critical of the story and the relationships it portrays. Once upon a time I called this one of my favorite series, but not anymore. I have grown out of it, but I still do appreciate it for nostalgic reasons and for the fact that it got me into a position I am in right now when it comes to the book community etc. I don't think I would have started blogging without this book and the desire to find more books like it to read.

2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I read Little Women for the first time probably the year I learned to read. My grandmother used to have a battered old copy of this one that used to belong to my mother and I read it one summer while staying at my grandmother's. I have never reread it, but I am currently the owner of that old copy I originally read this book from and I am waiting for the perfect time to reread it. I think for mainly nostalgic reasons I treasure this book more that I used to - to be completely honest, I don't even remember the events of the novel so well. I have seen the film several times, and I like it, so I am eagerly waiting for my reread.

3. Macbeth by William Shakespeare - So what some of you might not know about me is that I actually double-majored in film and theatre studies for my undergrad. I continued with film and media, but I do have a background of 4 years of theatre studies. I read Macbeth for the first time in high school and enjoyed it, especially seeing it live at Globe, but it wasn't until university that I really started to appreciate it. I actually wrote a few essays about this one during my university career and immensely enjoyed both the research and the writing processes.

4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez - I read this novel in high school in Finnish and occasionally had a difficult time getting through it - I don't read much in Finnish in general, and I think the translation just didn't work for me. I haven't read it since, but I think I would like to give it a new chance, this time in English. Now that I think back to my high school years my memories of this book are mostly positive, so I want to go back and see what I think as a more "experienced" reader. I found a beautiful Folio Society edition of this book from a second-hand store and once I go back to my place in September when my uni continues I will definitely pick this one up. 


5. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - This is actually the first book I ever got an ARC for, which is why I treasure it as an important part of my collection. It is also one of the most memorable YA novels I have ever read, though my thoughts about it have gone down a little bit after reading more YA novels. I still appreciate it, but I don't think I would rate it 5 stars if I were to read it now for the first time.


6. Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat - When I read this book in high school the short story format wasn't overly familiar to me and I think that is the reason I did not appreciate this quite as much as it should be appreciated. We did discuss this in class, but never to a very large extend. Now that I have taken a class on postcolonial theory, I think I would appreciate this WAY more than I originally did, which is why I want to reread it ASAP. 

7. Saving June by Hannah Harrington - After finishing with this book I rated it 4/5 stars on Goodreads, but now that I think about it, I could easily increase my rating to 5 stars. I am always slightly skeptical when it comes to books that deal with suicide - as someone who has gone through the loss of someone close to me via suicide, I keep looking for books that approach suicide with honesty, stories that feel "real" to me! This book has stayed with me ever since I read it and because of that I have started to appreciate it more and more. 

8. Landline by Rainbow Rowell - I love Rainbow Rowell, but I must admit that the more I think about this book, the more disappointed I am by it. I rated it 4/5 when I read it right after it was published it, but now almost two years later I honestly remember nothing about this book. I think after reading Fangirl my expectations for this book were VERY high and this book just never managed to fill them.

9. Columbine by Dave Cullen - I rated this book 5/5 after I read it a few years ago, but I think I have started to appreciate it even more since then after reading more about school shootings etc (for example Matthew Lysiak's book about the Newtown shootings does not compare to this one at all). The amount of research Cullen has put into this book is astounding as a result of which Columbine is not only very informative, but also extremely touching. I am especially interested about the ways the media approaches this kind of tragedies with and reading this book made me look into more research on the topic as a result of which I ended up doing a presentation of the mediation of school shootings during my undergraduate studies.

10. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel - I liked this one after reading it, but my appreciation for it increased when we discussed it as part of my queer mediation class this spring. In addition I read some academic essays about this and watched Bechdel interviews and I think what she has done with Fun Home is something extremely brilliant! If you like graphic novels, definitely check this one out!

8 comments:

  1. Great list! Twilight was on mine too, I feel like it got a lot of teenage girls reading when it was first published, which is a good thing. You're right, though, the relationships in the book are really disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Twilight is one of those series people who don't normally read have also read - there are not many readers in my close circle of friends, but they probably have all read at least the first installment of the series. While it might not have turned them into active readers, it introduced me to the YA genre in general and I don't think I would be writing this blog if it wasn't for Twilight :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read Krik? Krak! I think I'm going to really enjoy it, and I completely owe you for the recommendation. And of course, Twilight...I definitely don't love it anymore, but I am thankful that I found it back then—it did encourage me to get back into reading as a 13 year old.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like Krik?Krak! I need to reread it at some point, because I feel like we rushed through it back in high school. And that was like 6 years ago, so I don't really remember the details of it very well.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to read Before I Fall, but I just couldn't get into at all.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/24/top-ten-tuesday-58/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was obsessed with it back in the day, but I don't think I would like it as much anymore.

      Delete
  5. I just had to come and read your answers for this one since Sierra and I chose to revisit this topic today. I was glad to see we have almost identical opinions on the Twilight series. And we both included a Shakespeare play in our lists!

    ReplyDelete