Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#62) - Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim


For more information on Top Ten Tuesday click here


I am usually one of those readers who obsessively checks Goodreads before picking anything up. If my friends have rated it low, I mostly likely won't pick it up. And though I am aware of the fact that we all individually form our opinions, I tend to be influenced by Goodreads ratings, whether I want it or not. 

This spring has been somewhat special in the sense that for the first time in years I have just picked books out randomly from the library and read them. In probably 8/10 cases this has been fruitful and I have found awesome books and because of this I think this TTT topic came at a perfect time. So without further ado, here are 10 books I have picked on a whim and really ended up enjoying!



1. Lucy by Jamaica Kincaid - A young woman travels from the West Indies to North America to work as an au pair and ponders the differences between her old and new homes, the people, her family, etc. Very interesting thoughts about postcolonialism!

2. Revenge by Yoko Ogawa - Haunting collection of short stories that are all linked to each other. Beautifully written, strange, absurd set of brilliantly weaved stories about an interesting set of characters. 

3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker - A beautifully written classic set in the US during the 1930s (the novel actually covers a long period of time in the lives of its characters!). Inhabited by extremely interesting female characters. 

4. The Mussel Feast by Birgit Vanderbeke (translated by Jamie Bulloch) - A tale of a German family who prepare mussels while waiting for the father to come home. Narrated by an unnamed teenage girl in an extremely interesting manner. A quick read that definitely made me think!

5. War Dances by Sherman Alexie - A collection of poetry and short stories about a variety of topics from a Native American author. Alexie was the screenwriter of Smoke Signals, one of my favorite movies of ALL TIME, which obviously made me very interested about this one!


6. Pretty Face by Mary Hogan - A book I read before I was really aware that there was such a genre as YOUNG ADULT. A contemporary novel about a fat girl who travels to Italy and learns bunch of stuff about herself and her place in this world.

7. The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock - A beautiful book with a beautiful cover! Set in Alaska in the 1970s, this novel follows a set of young characters from different walks of life. A thoughtful, beautifully written young adult book for all ages!

8. Columbine by Dave Cullen - A remarkable masterpiece of journalistic research about an important event. Detailed, harrowing, memorable - a study of a community and of individuals that make it, as well as the violence that took place there. As a media student I found the way Cullen discusses the role of media in our understandings of this kinds of events extremely interesting and eye-opening.

9. Magnolia by Kristi Cook - A fun, romantic YA contemporary set in Mississippi. I adore Southern US setting in books, movies and TV shows as a result of which I really loved this one! Read it on one sitting because I just couldn't put it down. 

10. Full Measures by Rebecca Yarros - I picked this one up just because the synopsis mentioned a hockey star and ended up crying like a baby while reading it! So emotional, so well written and full of interesting characters. One of my favorite new adult reads of all time. 

What books have you picked up on a whim? Did you end up liking or disliking them?

6 comments:

  1. Oh I loved the Color Purple but I had to read that for school. I want to pick up The Smell of Other People Houses for the title alone!! I know many people loved it though so that helps. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Smell of Other People's Houses is still the best title for a book I've come across this year! And the fact that it was awesome really helps too.

      Delete
  2. I loved Full Measures as well. There are three other books in the series that are really good too. Great list, Milka. :)
    My TTT: http://littlebookheaven.blogspot.com/2016/05/top-ten-tuesday-15.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to check out the other titles - summer is a perfect time for new adult romances, so maybe I could pick one of them up now :)

      Delete
  3. I love Jamaica Kincaid and Sherman Alexie, everything he writes. I didn't know he was a screenwriter for that, i am definitely going to have to rewatch it now! Great List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Smoke Signals - it is one of my favorite movies EVER! :)

      Delete