Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#60) - Ten YA Characters I Would Like To Visit in 10 Years


For more information on Top Ten Tuesday click here


As readers, we all have probably felt like WE JUST NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE CHARACTERS WE READ ABOUT! Especially after finishing with a novel that I really loved, I often start to think about what happens to the characters after the ending - do their relationships last, will they be happy, do they get their dream jobs, etc. 

For this week's Top Ten Tuesday, I decided to put up a list of 10 YA characters I would like to know more about via a story about their lives 10 years after their stories were finished by the novels they were featured in. My dream came true when I got to read about adult Princess Mia Thermopolis last year, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed for adult stories about the following characters as well.




Isla from Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

I love everything Stephanie Perkins has written, but from her trio of characters (Anna, Lola and Isla), I fell in love with Isla and her story the most. I identified with her struggle of finding out what she is meant to do with her life. I feel like Isla grew up so much during the novel, but I would definitely be interested to see how much growing she has done in the ten years following the end of the novel. I am also pretty sure adult Josh is even more adorable and lovable than young adult Josh.


Auden from Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Auden goes through a big transformation in the novel from someone who spends time mostly alone to someone who has friendships and a relationship she never really imagined for herself. I loved Auden as a character and found her extremely relatable which is why I would love to read about her 10 years after the book ends. Also, I definitely wouldn't mind getting a glimpse of Eli as an adult. 


Amy from Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

I LOVED this book so much! It was the first book I read by Morgan Matson, and though it is not my favorite of her books, it has a special place in my heart. Amy goes through a lot in this novel - she is still going through her grieving process and her whole life is turned upside down when her brother is sent to rehab and her mother decides to move the family to Connecticut. I would love to know what happened to Amy next and how she got used to her new life in a new place. 


Harper from Saving June by Hannah Harrington

I tend to avoid books that deal with suicide because despite the fact that my father killed himself almost 13 years ago, I still going through the process of grieving him and books like this tend to bring all my emotions to the surface. This book was an extremely emotional and relatable reading experience for me and I would definitely be enthusiastic to read more about Harper and her life after the events this book covers. I am sure that 10 years later, Harper is still grieving her sister June, but hopefully it has gotten a little easier for her. 


Cath from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl is one of my favorite YA contemporary novels EVER, so obviously I would LOVE to know more about Cath and all of the other people that are part of her life (especially Levi). I am sure Cath is still very much a fangirl 10 years after this novel ends and that she is still very much in love with Levi (because who wouldn't be... he is just adorable). I am so sure that she is still extremely creative and funny and caring and so much more. 


Reagan from Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

Honestly, I want to know more about all of the principal characters of this book - Reagan, Dee and Matt. This is one of the best YA contemporary books I've ever read and the book that convinced me that I will have to read everything Emery Lord ever writes, so anything she could offer about the lives of these characters "10 years later" is something I would enthusiastically read time and time again. Emery's characters are so honest, wonderfully flawed and interesting young adults who I am sure would grow up into extremely interesting adults. 


Jemma from Magnolia by Kristi Cook

I love all things Southern and this YA contemporary romance took me completely by surprise. I loved the love/hate relationship between Jemma and Ryder and the small Southern town where old rivalries from the Civil War years are still very much present. I think the lives of the lives of these characters ten years after the end of the novel would made wonderful chick lit characters (and if Jemma is not with Ryder anymore, I think she would make a wonderful Zoe Hart-type character for a Southern rom-com in the style of Hart of Dixie (Ryder is more like George Street than Wade, but maybe there's a Wade-like character in town that is not introduced in this novel....)


Becca from Royally Lost by Angie Stanton

I ABSOLUTELY HATED THIS NOVEL! The reason I am including this here is just so I could see whether Becca grows into the kind of spoiled, air-heated, ignorant woman because she for sure acts like an idiot throughout this novel. She is privileged and whiny and doesn't grow at all as a human being during the novel, so I am predicting that not much has changed for her in 10 years. Even thinking about this book makes me want to cringe and rage. 

Mim from Mosquitoland by David Arnold

This book was so beautifully written and filled with a set of intriguing and wonderful characters, Mim being one of them. It took me a while to warm up to Mim, but after I learned more about her, I started to see her uniqueness and started to care for her deeply. The relationships she forms during her trip to meet her mother are so different yet meaningful - especially her relationship with Walt is something I will cherish for the rest of my life. It would be an absolutely privilege to read about Mim as an adult. 


Skylar from I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

This is one of my favorite YA contemporary novels EVER, so obviously anything Demetrios would write about these characters is something I would want to read. Reading about Skylar and her struggles made me realize how incredibly privileged I am (not having to worry I have food on my plate etc) as a result of which I not only enjoyed this novel but was reminded to appreciate all of those wonderful things I have in this life. I would love to know how the relationship between Skylar and Josh develops after the ending of the novel because Josh is one of my favorite YA contemporary love interests EVER. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't know why I didn't think about any of the Stephanie Perkins books!!! Isla would be a good person to look back into. Especially because I think out of all three of them (Anna, Lola, Isla) she had the biggest personal struggles. I want to see what she ended up doing, and if she got to where she wanted to be. Great Top Ten! :D
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie Perkins should just write a 10-years-later account of all of her three female characters - since the stories were connected to begin with, that is something she could totally do! :)

      Delete
  2. Isla really was the best, or at least most relatable for me. I would love to see what her life is like with Josh down the line. Yes, in my head they are still together. Revisiting any Sarah Dessen characters would be great. Just all of them would make so happy lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always grow to love Sarah Dessen's characters, so getting to read more about them is something I would welcome with open arms :)

      Delete
  3. YESSSSS TO AMY AND ROGER! I need to know what happened it kills. I would absolutely love a sequel to this book!
    Our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of want to reread everything Morgan Matson has written now... her books are just so good and perfect especially for the summer!

      Delete