Monday, May 16, 2016

Midmonth Obsessions (#8) - May 2016


The midpoint of May is here! The sun is shining and the days are getting longer here in Oulu, Finland (I think the sun went down at around 11 pm last night!). It is not very warm yet, but I am okay with that since I am not a big fan of warm weather to begin with (for me warm weather equals sun burns and more freckles!). I have been home for a week now and I love it; having a chance to hang out with my dear puppy again is the best thing ever! I feel like I am getting back to reading again after a period I felt like I rather just kept watching films, and I can't wait until I finish with my last essay so I can fully commit myself to reading for a while. When the summer comes around I always feel like reading contemporary YA and I was happy to notice I have some pretty awesome review copies lined up for the summer months. But now to my obsessions...

1984 by George Orwell (+annotating my copy!)


I came across this video by the wonderful Ariel Bissett and started to think about annotating books and why I haven't done it before. I am one of those people who has always been careful with my books and after watching this video, I started thinking WHY I have acted like the books need to look like they have never been read. I have been annotating books for school, but that has been mostly done because it has just eased up the access to notes etc. Inspired by Ariel, I decided to FINALLY pick up my long ago purchased copy of 1984 by George Orwell and annotate it! AND OH MY, THE WHOLE PROCESS WAS SO MUCH FUN! Having a pencil in my hand while reading made me think about the book SO MUCH MORE and I feel like I got so much more out of it than I expected. Yes, it might have taken a bit more time to read it through, but I am already excited about the prospect of rereading it in a few years and reading through all of my notes at the time. 

If you have never annotated your books, I highly recommend you testing it out! Especially with classics it could be helpful in understanding and fully ingesting the material. I think this summer I will reread one of my favorite classics and annotate it. 

IIHF World Championship Games


While other people seem to get excited about May because of the Eurovision Song Contest, for me May is the month for the IIHF World Championship Games aka the Ice Hockey World Championship games. Team Finland has won all of its games so far, but the real test comes tomorrow when we play against Canada. 

Even if you are not a hockey fan, I recommend watching the video because it beautifully highlights how crazy we Finns can get about hockey. It is from the 2011 games and the guy one the video is probably the most loved hockey commentator in Finland. 

Ripcord by Keith Urban


Keith Urban has been one of my favorite country singers for years and his most recent album RIPCORD comes at a perfect time for summer! I can already see myself blasting this from my headphones while I cycle around the town. 

Summer of YA Contemporaries


When summer rolls around I usually get excited about the prospect of reading YA contemporaries. So far I've spent this year expanding my reading tastes and I will definitely continue doing so, but at the same time I am excited about reading some awesome YA contemporaries I have requested for review and so on. If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

I started reading The Museum of Heartbreak by Meg Leder last night and so far it has been really entertaining!

New Trailers

Though summer is barely here, I am already getting excited about the first trailers for new fall shows. 


I am not sure how to feel about the trailer for THIS IS US starring Milo Ventimiglia and Mandy Moore. I LOVE MANDY MOORE AND I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE HER IN SOMETHING NEW, but hmm... Especially the fat woman storyline is one I am interested to know more about because I hope it is not one of those "a fat woman can only be happy and find love when she is skinny" storylines. If she wants to lose weight for herself, GOOD FOR HER, but if fat=sad and lonely and skinny=happy and loved, then NOPE.


I REALLY HOPE THIS ONE IS GOOD because I am dying to see Kristen Bell in TV on weekly basis!

Also, this is coming already this summer (actually in just few weeks!) but I couldn't resist sharing it BECAUSE I AM SO EXCITED!


4 comments:

  1. I love summer YA contemporaries. I also l love Mandy Moore and so happy she has a new show coming out. I will definitely give it a try. I have been meaning to watch Bloodline the first season for so long. Hopefully I can get to both seasons this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy Moore is great and the show looks interesting, so I am looking forward to seeing how it actually turns out.
      Bloodline is so good - I still haven't watched season 2 even though I was super excited about it. I have just been super busy with other stuff and it feels like I don't want to watch it until I can really binge on it.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited for Bloodline. Loved Season 1. This is Us looks like it could be a good replacement for Parenthood - I'll definitely check it out. (I mean, I'll check it out if it isn't cancelled after three episodes which is so often the way with US Network shows).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely got Parenthood vibes from it as well. I am just excited to see Mandy Moore in something and I hope that it actually stays on air at least for a season!

      Delete