Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#59) - Ten Books That Will Make You Laugh (or at least chuckle)


For more information on Top Ten Tuesday click here


I have been looking forward to doing this list because funny books ARE THE BEST and can sometimes help you in switching your mood completely. For some reason funny books also are the ones I usually end up rereading. Please leave me links to your lists in the comments so I can add more funny books to my TBR.


1. The Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries #11) by Meg Cabot - Though I think all of the Princess Diaries books are hilarious, this newest addition to the series made me laugh out loud SEVERAL TIMES. I loved reading about grown up Mia and her adventures and life with Michael.


2. Yes Please by Amy Poehler - Amy Poehler is pretty much my QUEEN and this book is gold! I especially love the segments dedicated to SNL and Parks and Recreation memories. DAMN, I MISS PARKS SO MUCH!

3. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding - Kind of an obvious one, but oh well... I was probably way too young the first time I read this and never really got it, but reading it in "adult age" cracked me up in a whole new ways. 

4. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler - It has been YEARS since I read this one, but I remember the main character being really sassy and funny and just enjoyable to read about. 

5. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - This book was like watching one of my favorite romantic comedies. The characters are so interesting and funny and well-developed and Rainbow's writing is just so pleasurable to read. I definitely need to reread this one soon!


6. Losing It by Cora Carmack - This might not be a laugh-out-loud kind of book, but I remember being very entertained by this one. It was also nice to read a more humorous NA title since most new adult is very angsty and tragic.

7. Him by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy - I HAVE SO MANY FEELS WHEN IT COMES TO THIS BOOK! Though I loved the romance aspects in this one, I think it also has a lot of funny parts that cracked me up. 

8. When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood by Lauren Kaelin and Sophia Fraioli - This is one of those funny little coffee table books that is fun to read out loud in company. There are some extremely funny text exchanges here that I instantly had to share with my friends. Definitely worth a browse through if you get a chance for it.

9. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel - Though this one deals with quite serious issues, it also manages to be extremely funny. I read this for my queer representation class and really enjoyed discussing its humorous elements in class. If you are interested in getting into graphic novels, this one could be a good start!

10. Side Effects by Woody Allen - I was kind of hesitant about including this here because Woody Allen is such a complicated public figure. I was introduced to Allen's writing and films and fell in love with them BEFORE I knew nothing about his personal life (I was quite young and it was a time when we didn't yet google everything). When it comes to cinema and comedy, Allen is an icon and I think in this situation I have just decided to separate the personal life and the artistic product (I honestly know very little about his personal life and I am not really even interested... it is his films that I care about). Allen's short stories are much like his films - a little absurd, not necessarily laugh-out-loud, but funny in their own Woody Allen-ian way. 

14 comments:

  1. Well, yes, Bridget Jones!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/04/books-that-make-me-laugh.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I feel like that was kind of an obvious choice for a list like this :)

      Delete
  2. Love Amy Poehler! Attachments is one of my favorite books ever and definitely laughed. I nee that Parents Text book. Sounds hysterical!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy Poehler is pretty much my queen!
      The When Parents Text Book is such a hilarious, quick read :)

      Delete
  3. I loved Yes Please! So good! I need to get When Parents Text. It sounds hilarious though I wonder if some of it would hit a little too close to home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Please is so good - it has been a while since I read it and I feel like I should reread it soon. Amy Poehler is pretty much like my queen and I have been rewatching Parks and Recreation AGAIN, so reading the book would be obvious move by now.

      Delete
  4. I've had Yes Please since the day it was released, and I STILL haven't read it!!! I need to get to it ASAP! Great TOP TEN! :D
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these sothanks for the recs!

    Stacy Renee @ Lazy Day Literature

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much enjoyed the humor in Attachments :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Attachments was very funny and would probably make a brilliant indie romcom :)

      Delete
  7. I love this weeks topic, I am such a fan of books that can make me laugh. You've got some great picks this weeks, and I am definitely going to add a few of these to my own TBR. Thanks for the recommendations! :) You can check out my picks here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - I hope you found something good and funny to read!

      Delete