Monday, April 18, 2016

Midmonth Obsessions (#7) - April 2016


This is a little bit late (once again), but this time around I actually have a good reason for it. I was at my aunt's place at Tampere last week (a city about 2 hours north from where I live) and didn't have my laptop with me, so I wasn't able to post this until now. I turned 25 last Thursday (yay me!) and had a really nice week at my aunt's place! 

I have only three weeks left here in the South of Finland and then I am traveling home for summer holiday. I CAN'T WAIT! I haven't seen my best friend (aka our dog) for almost five months and I miss her like crazy, so I am really looking forward to seeing her again.

But now, let's have a look at some of my obsessions from the last month...

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries


After seeing several people raving about this show on Twitter, I decided to give it a go. It has played in Finnish TV too, and my mom used to watch it, but I never gave a time of the day for it back then. After noticing it was on Netflix, I decided to take the plunge and OH. MY. GOD. 

THIS FREAKING SHOW. 
SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO GOOD.

I love Phryne, her feminism, her wit and her sense of fashion. And Jack, oh Jack... So dreamy and perfect. The chemistry between Jack and Phryne is INSANE and managed to give me all sorts of fangirl feels. Season 4 NEEDS TO HAPPEN SOON! 

Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame


During my visit to Tampere, I visited the Finnish Hockey Fall of Fame, one of the six museums in the world dedicated to the glorious sport that is ice hockey. The museum space itself isn't very large, but for a hockey fan like me, THERE IS SO MUCH TO SEE from old jerseys to a collection of hockey cards and goalie masks. The jewels of the collection are the Finnish Championship Trophy (in the photo behind me) and the trophies from the World Championship Victories in 1995 and 2011. I of course took time to spot mentions of all of my favorite players from my hometown team. I bought a few posters with me as a souvenir and can't wait to hang them on my walls.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season 2


I loved the first season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, so I was obviously very excited for season 2. I have about three episodes of the second season yet to watch, but I must say that in general I have enjoyed it. I acknowledge that it is problematic at points, but as a complete product, I can't help but to enjoy it. Titus is still my favorite character - so damn funny and perfectly cast and acted! I also love all of the Robert Durst/The Jinx references.

Working on my Queer Archive


As a final project for my Queerly Mediated class we need to put together some sort of Queer Archive. Since I love sitcoms and have been doing research on them, I thought I would do mine about the evolution of queer representations in American situation comedies. I have been watching a lot of clips from Youtube and putting together a video edit that features examples from the past five decades or so. The classes for this course have been incredibly interesting and I cannot wait to see what kind of queer archives the other students come up with. 


1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Birthday, Milka! I’m not a hockey fan, but your enthusiasm is so infectious. It looks like you had a great time in the Finnish Hockey Fall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete