Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#57) - 10 Songs I Wish That Were Books


For more information about Top Ten Tuesday click here


While looking through the upcoming topics for Top Ten Tuesday a while ago, I instantly got excited about this one as a result of which I've actually been thinking about the songs I want to include here for weeks now. So often, I hear a song and wish the story the lyrics tell would be a book or a movie, so this topic feels like it was made for me. 

I will include links for Youtube so you can listen to the songs in case you want to! :)

1. Skin (Sara Beth) by Rascal Flatts


I must admit that even thinking about this song makes me want to tear up a little. I am a huge Rascal Flatts fan and Skin (Sara Beth) is one of the first songs I heard by them. I think the story this song tells is so beautiful and effective and something that really leaves a mark on you. There are a lot of YA involving a cancer story line, but this song would definitely work as an inspiration for one more such story.

2. Fireflies by Ron Rope


I heard this song for the first time while watching a short film made by one of my university friends, and while everyone else in the group thought this song was horribly cheesy and sappy, I fell in love with it. Ron Pope's voice is beautiful, and the lyrics tell a story I would definitely want to know more about.

3. John Wayne Gacy Jr. by Sufjan Stevens


So.... THIS SONG IS PROBABLY MY FAVORITE SONG OF ALL TIME. My English teacher played this for us in high school when we were discussing poetry because the lyrics really are like poetry - so damn poignant, powerful and beautiful! I will never grow tired of this song, and though it is pretty depressive, I think it is also absolutely beautiful. Sufjan Stevens is perfection and the music video for this one is DEFINITELY WORTH A WATCH!

4. See You Tonight by Scotty McCreery


So, I LOVE country music (as you can probably see from this list) and I often think country music lyrics would make AWESOME YA contemporaries. I am obsessed with Southern guys and Southern US as a setting for books/movies/tv shows, and I can just imagine how awesome of an inspiration this song would be for example for a romantic, swoonworthy NA novel (maybe written by someone like Cora Carmack). The music video for this song features a soldier and I WOULD DEFINITELY BE UP TO A STORY ABOUT A SOLDIER AND THE GIRL HE LOVES. 

5. Cinnamon Hearts by Eva & Manu


Eva & Manu are a SUPER COOL Finnish duo (check out the music video - Manu is SO FREAKING HOT!) and Cinnamon Hearts is just a super funny and catchy song that always reminds me of summer. There's nostalgia and summer romance in the lyrics, and I think this would be an awesome inspiration for a contemporary novel set in the 90s. 

6. It's You by Ryan Cabrera


THIS SONG IS SUPER SAPPY. PROBABLY ONE OF THE CHEESIEST SONGS I'VE EVER HEARD. I remember having this on my Creative Mp3 player during my exchange student year in US back in 2007-2008 and listening to this song in school bus while thinking about my first crush who eventually became my boyfriend for a while. Because of those nostalgic teenage feelings, this song will always be VERY meaningful for me. 

7. Say Yes by Elliott Smith


Even thinking of Elliott Smith makes me want to cry because seriously.... SUCH A TALENT WAS LOST WHEN HE DIED! There were so many songs I could have included on this list, but I decided to go with Say Yes because it is one of the first Elliott Smith songs I ever heard and the song that really made me fall in love with him. 

8. A Million Years by Teddy Geiger


Another song that I had on repeat during my exchange student year. I used to play this bad boy on repeat for a while and when I was thinking about this list, this came into my mind. I would LOVE to see this song used as an inspiration for a YA contemporary from a point-of-view of a male character.

9. Cop Car by Keith Urban


Another country pick and one of my current favorites. This song would make an amazing YA contemporary set in the South. I almost feel like writing that story myself because really, it could be AWESOME! Also, I have a major crush on Keith Urban. 

10. When You Look Me In The Eyes by Jonas Brother


Yes, I went there, I included Jonas Brothers here, because really, JONAS BROTHER 4EVER! Jonas Brother got really big during my time in US and of course, as a life long fangirl, overnight I turned into a big Jonas Brothers fan as well (I probably hauled 50 magazines with Jonas Brother pictures back to Finland when I had to come home!) There are several JoBros songs I love, but ever since I first heard When You Look Me In The Eyes, it has been my favorite. I cried hysterically when I saw Jonas Brothers performing this song live. 

Which songs would you wish were books? Are any of my picks your favorites too? 

3 comments:

  1. that song by Rascal Flatts kills me every time lol. Would make a perfect YA novel for the same reason ;) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you set up your list is super cute! I am definitely going to listen to that John Wayne Gacy Jr song as soon as I get home!! It sounds like it would be totally up my alley :)

    My TTT.

    Also, feel free to check out this week's new giveaway!

    ReplyDelete