Friday, December 12, 2014

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer

Release Date: January 3, 2012
Info about the author: Goodreads - Twitter - Website
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Age group: YA
Pages: 387
Buy the book: Amazon - Book Depository


Description (from Goodreads):

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


So I FINALLY read it. And of course I loved it, just like everyone kept telling me I would. So once again I can ask myself: why did I wait so long until I read this? I guess I could say that I am wary about starting new series because I can’t even keep up with the ones I already have started or that I was afraid all the type would lead me to a book that would end up disappointing me. But I am not going to continue making those excuses because I should have picked this one earlier because it was AWESOME. So if you are still thinking whether you should start with these series or not, DO IT!

We are introduced to Cinder, a young mechanic working in New Beijing. Being a cyborg makes her into a second class citizen and there’s something hazy in her past that she and the people around her are not so sure about. When her young stepsister catches the deadly plague that is ravaging the earth, Cinder is blamed by her stepmother and other stepsister. But with her sister’s sickness come consequences that eventually lead Cinder to the palace of the Emperor and the handsome Prince Kai, who himself is dealing with the problems caused by the Lunar people. And as the plot thickens, she also starts to learn more about her past and also about her future.

I loved the world building of his novel. The world Meyer has created is so special, so detailed and so interesting. She does not lay all the information about the world and its history to the table right away, but intricately builds it up, making you want to learn more. The characters are fantastic – Cinder is strong and independent, but also acts realistically to the situations that surround her. She is caring and witty, but also a bit unsure about herself and about who she is. I also love the fact that though she forms a relationship with Prince Kai, she is not all over him right away, but realizes that a potential relationship with the Prince might cause not only problems to herself but also to the citizens of the New Beijing. Prince Kai is just so charming and funny and flirtatious, but also a bit unsure of himself and what he should do to ensure well-being for the people he is supposed to govern. Cinder’s android Iko is super funny and definitely one of the best characters of the whole novel. The description of the Lunar people and their powers was so intriguing to read about, and I can’t wait to know more about them from the following novels in the series.

I guess to some extent you can argue that this novel is a bit predictable, but I think that is the case with all retellings. Everyone is probably familiar with the story of Cinderella and those readers can definitely make the connections between the original fairytale and Meyer’s novel. But this twist on a fairytale that has been retold in so many ways is unique and unexpected, and there definitely are several imaginative twists and turns in this one. So don’t be thrown away by the fact that you think that you already know what is going to happen. I promise you that you won’t.

2 comments:

  1. I'll HAVE to get to this when I can now, especially since I've left it this long for the exact same reasons. Sounds pretty unique (I mean, cyborgs!) and yay good world building, I'm glad you learn it on the way instead of info dumps, and I think I'll love the characters, perfect balance. Exactly, it's a retelling, so yeah, it's going to be predictable, but still it sounds unique (especially with all the other retellings at the moment I've ended up disappointed in) and if it can make it it's own, then I'm all for it. :) Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how long I actually kept pushing this book away, thinking that I'll read it later. I've now read the second book too and really liked it, not so much though as this one. I do have the third book as well and I'm hoping to get to it at some point during the Christmas holidays :)

      I hope you like this one when you end up reading it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete