Monday, July 14, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (#17)

For more information, click here.

This week's topic is Top Ten Movies or TV Shows

Because this is the topic I've been waiting for AGES, I'll definitely do both. The film student in me wanted to start and analyse these all in detail, but I think I'm just going to try and keep it short. Leave me a comment if you want to see some film/TV posts here at the blog, I would love to do that!!

TOP TEN MOVIES (in no particular order)


1. A Clockwork Orange (1971, dir. Stanley Kubrick) 

I know this film isn't for everyone, but I personally love it. It is one of the films that made me want to study film and thus I will always be grateful for Kubrick for creating this masterpiece. Yes, it is violent, but I feel like the violence is so over emphasized that it doesn't feel very realistic. I've actually written quite a bit about this film for essays etc. so if you are interested about hearing more about this film, I can do a post about it or something.


2. Sleeper (1973, dir. Woody Allen)

This gloriously weird and absurd film is the film that made me fall in love with Woody Allen's work. Woody Allen is a very controversial figure and I've got a lot of shit for saying that I love his movies, but I always just say that I divide the personal life and his work - I love his work, his imagination, his characters. Not what he did or did not do in his personal life. 

If you are interested in getting into Woody Allen, this definitely is a good film to start with - it is overly absurd and funny and awesome!


3. Duck Soup (1933, dir. Leo McCarey)

I don't even know how to explain my love for this film. I love comedy and this is definitely one of the funniest, if not the FUNNIEST film I've ever seen. If you are interested to see from where so many comedians that still work these days probably got a lot of inspiration, check this out! I've seen this one SO many times and every single time it is just as funny. 


4. Citizen Kane (1941, dir. Orson Welles)

The most beautiful film I've ever seen. A true cinematic masterpiece. 


5. After Hours (1985, dir. Martin Scorsese)

My Scorsese favorite! Absurd, funny, dark, sarcastic, cynical. The New York of this film is dark, mysterious and works like a character in the story. 


6. Singin' in the Rain (1952, dir. Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly)

This is the film I always watch if I am in need of something to make me smile. The songs are so catchy, Gene Kelly is so handsome and the film is just really funny! Definitely my favorite musical of all time.


7. Rear Window (1954, dir. Alfred Hitchcock)

I love Hitchcock and though I've enjoyed every single film I've seen from his oeuvre, Rear Window is my definite favorite. The way it is shot, the voyeurism, the motifs and the acting are phenomenal! 


8. Targets (1968, dir. Peter Bogdanovich)

Unfortunately a fairly unknown thriller/drama about a troubled man on a shooting spree. This one is so intriguing, so chilling and so interestingly shot. 


9. Clueless (1995, dir. Amy Heckerling)

Favorite movie from my pre-teens/teens that still holds a spot in my top ten! This is what made me fall in love with Paul Rudd. 


10. When Harry Met Sally (1989, dir. Rob Reiner)

Romantic Comedy gold! If you like this one, please check out FOX's 'The Mindy Project'!



TOP TEN TV SHOWS (in no particular order)


1. The Office (US) (NBC)

My favorite sitcom of all time! These characters feel like family to me and I will never get tired of watching these episodes over and over again. 


2. Breaking Bad (AMC)

If you haven't heard about this show you've probably been living in a cave or something. Breaking Bad is so addicting, so well-written and acted. I never believed I would fall in love with a show about a guy who starts to cook meth. 


3. Gilmore Girls (WB/CW)

Gilmore Girls taught me that it is okay to be nerdy and bookish and good at school. It made me obsessed with coffee, fall in love with Stars Hollow and desire to be best friends with Rory and Lorelai. I've re-watched the episodes several times and every single time I've loved them as much. 


4. Pushing Daisies (ABC)

Colorful. Funny. Slightly absurd. Romantic. Fantastic. 
This show ended way too soon.
And okay, Lee Pace - YUMMY!


5. Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Parks and Recreation is heartfelt, funny, wonderfully written and wonderfully acted. All the characters have become so dear to me and I will probably cry for weeks after this show ends. Also, this show has the most wonderful male character of all time - RON SWANSON. 


6. 30 Rock (NBC)

These characters. The writing. The absurd jokes. Tina Fey. One of the best comedies of all time.


7. F.R.I.E.N.D.S. (NBC)

One of those shows you can watch again and again and again. I love all of the characters, the inside jokes, the character relationships and quirks... Everything. Pretty much a perfect comedy in my opinion. 


8. Friday Night Lights (NBC)

This show gave me SO MANY FEELS. The characters are so well established and when you think you know all about them, they reveal something new, showing you a completely new side to them. I will always be in love with Coach Taylor and Tim Riggins. I love how it shows the problems of the community and the world of sports. Also, it is refreshing to watch a couple (Eric and Tammy) who fight about "normal" things and despite all, love each other more than anything. 


9. Grey's Anatomy (ABC)

This is one of those shows I've watched from the very moment it started. Yes, it might be occasionally quite unbelievable, but I feel such a connection towards these characters that I can't stop watching it. This one made me want to be a doctor for a while, but then I realized that I suck in math and chemistry. 


10. The West Wing (NBC)

I feel like I just left the best for the last. This show, oh my, I have no words! I've been interested in US politics since my exchange year and was fortunate enough to visit several of the main sights for US politics in D.C (I lived close to D.C. in Virginia). When I found this show, I felt like I had found a treasure. It is amazingly written, acted and paced. The characters are SO wonderful - I feel a connection towards each and every one of them. 

I am always insanely jealous when I hear that someone is just starting to watch this show because I will never again experience the feeling of falling in love with this show for the first time


What are some of your favorite films and movies? 

34 comments:

  1. Really great mix of shows and movies! Yes to When Harry Met Sally, I only saw this one recently after my sister nearly disowned me for never seeing it!

    My TTT: http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/top-ten-tuesday-favourite-movies-and-tv-shows/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      Haha, I always keep asking my friends whether they've seen it or not too - just to make sure they haven't missed the awesomeness that that movie is :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Gilmore Girls is like my favorite show ever!!! Also I can't believe I forgot friends! Awesome list =)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilmore Girls is amazing! Watching it always makes me crave for a film night or pizza or coffee (or most likely all three of those). I am also extremely in love with Logan!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Singin' in the Rain is just gold! Most of the rest of my family doesn't appreciate it, but I love the catchy music, and the characters are just awesome. I'm so ashamed to say I've never seen any of the rest of the movies, or the tv shows on your list. I really need to start educating myself in the tv world better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singin' in the Rain is AMAZING! I just re-watched it for like the 50th time a couple of weeks ago and I still have all these extras to go through from this 2 DVD edition I got a while ago.

      My friend just told me that my film list here is very "elitist" and that it is a wonder if someone has seen any of those films I mentioned, so I guess it's no wonder then if you haven't seen any of those :D I guess it is the film student side of me that picked those films.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. I love FRIENDS. It's on my list too. When you really need a good laugh, it's great to know that you can always re-watch an episode from this show and not be disappointed. I was only able to watch the early seasons of Grey's Anatomy. It was addicting, to say the least. But ever since the show started killing off the original cast, I thought well, it's time to say goodbye too, for me.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately for me, most of the original cast members that left (mainly Izzie) were ones that I did not like, so I did not mind seeing them (I liked George though). It definitely can be addicting and over-dramatic, but for some reason I've kept watching. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great list! You mentioned a lot of classic movies there, many of which I haven't watched (need to fix that)! Oh man, The West Wing, loved that show; it was one reason (a small reason...a factor, lol) why I decided to pursue political science in my undergrad. The characters were also great, as was the banter, hehehe

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, there are quite a bit of classics there - I just realized that the most recent release from the list is Clueless which is almost 20 years old. I am not really into the whole 3D/CGI cinema, so I guess that's why I've picked older films. Of course there are awesome films from the past 20 years out there, but not so awesome that they would make my top 10. :D

      Oh, The West Wing is the best! I wanted to study US politics, but unfortunately since I'm not from US, I only could have done it as a side subject kind of thing here with focus mostly on Finnish politics, which don't interest me AT ALL.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Pushing Daisies is on my list too. That show is awesome in too many ways, I still cannot believe it ended so soon. I'm still a little upset about it.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is/was a wonderful show - so colorful, wacky and imaginative. And Lee Pace is just wonderful!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Great choices! I love Hitchcock and am feeling the need for a rewatch. I haven't seen Pushing Daisies but I've seen it on several lists so that makes me think I should go check it out! I loved The Office and of course Friends! My husband went on a massive binge watch of Breaking Bad so that he could watch the finale in real time. It was so intense that he was jumpy for weeks! We had a lot of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitchcock's films are always worth a rewatch! :)
      Pushing Daisies is amazing - kind of absurd and wacky, but also funny, colorful and just a pleasure to watch.
      I did the same with Breaking Bad, just so I was able to watch the finale when it aired and cry my eyes out. :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed Rear Window as well. The climax of that movie had me on the edge of my seat! I also love Clueless and When Harry Met Sally, I really love when Harry Met Sally!
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rear Window is amazing! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I love Clueless, Paul Rudd is great as the Knightley character. I am slowly going through Hitchcock's films and Rear Window is definitely one of my favourites.
    Since you like movies, I'm starting a movie meme this Thursday, come and join if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul Rudd is the perfect fit for that role!
      I'll definitely check out your meme :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Oh, I can tell you're a film student, haha! I must admit, I still have to watch many of those classics you named in your list - bad, I know! And I have seen and loved many of your TV choices, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I guess you can kind of see that from the list. I feel like a lot of the films are ones that you either really love or hate. Unfortunately with many of my friends I've shared the films with they have ended up hating them (one of my friends couldn't even finish watching A Clockwork Orange whereas another friend said that Citizen Kane is boring - both times I tried to hide my shock with no success).

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Clueless so should have made my list, it's a fantastic film! Great choices :)

    Check out my TTT!

    I’m also currently running a Giveaway!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to see Gilmore Girls popping up on so many Top Ten Tuesday posts this week!

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a lot of bookish people find Gilmore Girls appealing :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. The West Wing is probably my all time fav show. I loved Pushing Daisies. So crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The West Wing truly is AMAZING!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  14. I've heard amazing things about Grey's Anatomy and West Wing, but I haven't watched either of them. Time to start? :)

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider Silk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely! Grey's Anatomy is more action packed whereas The West Wing is a lot of dialogue. If I would have to say which one is better, I would definitely say The West Wing. I am always so jealous for those who get to start to watch The West Wing for the first time because I remember myself how it felt to find that amazing show :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Oh gosh! So embarrassed to say that I haven't seen any of these movies though I've heard of all of them O.o Need to watch one soon. As for shows, GILMORE GIRLS *GRINS* LOOOOVE THAT ONE :) And Friends is just the bestest comedy relief any day any time. Love it so hard. Need to start watching FNL since everyone loved that show bad. Great list, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend to start with maybe Hitchcock if you want to watch some of the classics from the list. Clueless and When Harry Met Sally are always entertaining picks as well :)

      FNL is AMAZING! I miss that show so much.

      Delete
  16. I really really really need to start watching Breaking Bad. It's been sitting in my Netflix queue/list for forever now. I don't know why I'm so reluctant to start it with all the great things I've heard about it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it difficult to start it as well, just because all the things I'd heard about it had been positive and I guess I was afraid that I would not see the things that other people seemed to see in that show. But oh wow, was I wrong with that because from episode 1 already I was hooked!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. Wow! You've got some great movies and TV shows! I love some of these, too, even though I didn't have them on my list...mostly because I forgot. I've watched lots of Woody Allen through the years. He's done some classic movies. When Harry Met Sally, Clueless and Citizen Kane are wonderful. I loved Gilmore Girls and so many others on your TV list. Great lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woody Allen is brilliant - there has been some hits and misses in the past 20 years or so, but other than that, he is brilliant. His short stories are an extremely funny read too, btw. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete